The health of our planet depends on reducing our energy consumption and shifting over to sustainable and renewable energy sources.
Buildings account for approximately 30% of our national energy use. In Vancouver about 50% of all our greenhouse gas emissions can be attributed to buildings. By providing information and knowledge on energy conservation and renewable energy SPEC aims to get individuals and businesses interested and invested in energy conservation and renewable energy. SPEC offers an opportunity for groups and individuals to view and learn about practical, long-term energy solutions to climate change.
SPEC’s Energy Committee works to educate individuals, businesses and children about renewable energy and energy saving methods to reduce their energy footprint.
- Zero Fossil Fuel Campaign
- The Zero Fossil Fuel Campaign raises awareness about the issues related to the use of fossil fuels in our community and educates people on how we could completely eliminate the use of all fossil fuels within the City of Vancouver using strategies that have already been implemented here or elsewhere. The target audience is Vancouver residents and organizations.
- Design of a visually engaging info-graphic for outreach purposes. This component was funded by TD Friends of the Environment.
- Installation of SPEC's Solar Panels on the Mountain Equipment Coop (MEC) Vancouver Store's rooftop, for energy generation and demonstration purposes. Funded by Bullfrog Power, MEC and SPEC.
- Go Solar Tours for public outreach. Funded by Bullfrog Power and SPEC
- Go Solar Toolkit booklet. Funded by Bullfrog Power and SPEC
Education & Advocacy
We educate the public as to the reasons, benefits, and best methods of reducing their energy consumption.
We advocate at a municipal and provincial level for energy policies that move us toward energy conservation and responsible energy production.
SPEC's Energy outreach and meetings are possible thanks to our donors and the support of BCHydro through the Community Champions Contest funding which SPEC won in 2013.
Thank you to our funders and supporters: